Attaching & wiring ceiling light

Old 07-05-05, 11:24 AM
JessD
Visiting Guest
Attaching & wiring ceiling light.

Hello Bob, [I don't know how to start a new post, so am putting my question in as a reply....sorry.]

I read the previous discussion and printed your reply about connecting the wires. My situation: We're shopping for a ceiling light, which is wired with a reostate switch, above our dinnette where previously a ceiling fan/light
existed, but fell down because it was not secured to a cross stud in the attic.
We want a light on a chain that can be lowered, with 5 light bulbs circling one light in the center. I have not opened the box at Lowes home improvement store to look at the base and mounting configuration. So I have a dual question.

The recessed device has two long screws coming out, to which the new base would be attached IF it fits. The screws are 2 3/4" between them, center to center. If the new fixture base will not fit this what options do I have?
These screws go into what looks like a very hard-type plastic cup, with the screw holes on opposite sides with the wiring all to be pushed back into the
"cup."

On the wiring: Our situation has the following:
1 green ground wire.
1 red wire
4 white wires (the color does look almost tan)
4 black wires.

Two more black wires than in the other poster's situation.

Your instructions would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Gratefully,

Jess

Last edited by JessD; 07-05-05 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-05, 11:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
Jess,

The additional blacks and whites are from the additional sockets that you have vs the original posters fixture. Each bulb socket has 1 black and 1 white.

Fixture boxes all have a standard spacing for the mounting screws. The long screws you describe may be the ones thathold the finish canopy to the ceiling. Other screws hold the bracket to the fixture box.