Adding new lights

Old 07-11-05, 09:20 AM
DaveMS
Visiting Guest
Adding new lights

Hello!
I plan on adding some new lights to my living room.. I plan on installing the lights, then running the wires to the light switch on the wall (adding a new light switch for these lights.. )

I havent yet looked at the lights or switches, is there anything specific I need to know before doing this? Also, how do I get the added switch to function and work on its own..

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-05, 10:08 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dave this is usually a pretty simple thing to do. First thing is to determine where you can get power from ie an existing receptacle box, light switch box or light fixture box. If a switch box you need to make sure there is a neutral in that box. So next thing to do is where do you want the switch. You can remove a single switch box and add a double gang switch box so that you would have two switches side by side, you could put the switch by itself, lots of options. If the switch is by itself on the wall you will need to run a switch loop from the light fixture box to the switch. If its side by side with another switch and no neutral then again you will need to run a switch loop from out of the light fixture box to the switch. So switch loops will require running the power cable to the light fixture box first, then to the switch to controll the light or lights. If you choose to run power to the switch first then you would just run a cable from the power source to the switch and a cable from the light fixture box to the switch. Same logic if you put it in a double gang box with another switch that doesnt have a neutral present in the box. However if a neutral is present in a light switch box and this would be a good location for your new light switch then just get your power from that box and add a double gang box in place of that single gang box, then just one cable running to your first light then connect all the other lights to that one.

For multiple lights you just connect to the switched leg in the first light fixture box aftr the switch and run a cable to the next light, from that light to the next light etc.