Ceiling Fan Motor Hum

Old 07-26-05, 10:44 AM
yacko456
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Fan Motor Hum

I recently installed Hampton Bay ceiling fans in my bedroom and my daughter's room. The fan in my room works fine. The fan in my daughter's room had loud hum. My dad said the motor was bad so I replaced it with a similar model. That fan had the same loud hum. I returned that fan and replaced it with a Hunter fan. The fan had a hum but slightly lower.

I've tightened all screws and checked everything previously mentioned in other posts and the installation manual.

I have noticed that the hum begins as soon as the wall switch is turned on. This is regular single pole light switch. I'm wondering if this is an electrical problem. Is it possible that there is something on the same circuit that could cause this problem? If so, how can I test? Is is possible that there is not enough current to the fan?

I appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-05, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
sound like a voltage drop.
some other thing must be connected on that circuit that causing a voltage drop
check with a voltmeter

Old 07-26-05, 03:02 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the fan on a dimmer?

Is the room smaller? Perhaps the fan is too big for the room. Sometimes certain air noise can sound like a hum.

Is the fan closer to the ceiling? Closer to the walls?

Did you install all the supplied rubber gaskets (betwen the mounting plate and the ceiling, on the fan blades, and on the light globes)?

It could also be a voltage problem as pgtek said, but you'd need to be able to check the voltage with the fan running (not impossible, but no easy trick).

Old 07-27-05, 09:23 AM
yacko456
Visiting Guest
The fan is on a regular single pole switch. It is in the center of the room (12' x10'). Fan is 42". The rubber gaskets are in place. As I said, the hum is noticeable as soon as the switch is turned on before than has even completed on revolution. The hum definitely comes from the motor as I was able to touch the motor while is was on.

I'm hesitant to change it as my daughter doesn't mind the noise and I've already installed three fans.