Bathroom light strip install

Old 07-26-05, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom light strip install

I have 2 lights with 2 mini chandelier bulbs each, hanging from the bathroom ceiling over the vanity & sink. The attic wiring goes to 1st light then to the 2nd.
I want to remove the ceiling lights, seal holes & install a 2 ft. 4 bulb metal vanity strip (~2 lb. with the bulbs). on the wall over the vanity. I plan to run wire from attic hex box between the walls & out to attach to the new light.
1. I assume I need to install a hexagon box flush in the wall for the wiring & attach the light strip to the box vs. directly wiring with pigtails to the light's wires. *Can I insert a hex box (with securing wings) in the wall between studs without attaching to the side of a stud or must I fasten to the side of a stud?
2. the rear panel of the vanity strip has 2 more holes to allow hanging on the wall. Must I screw 1 or both screws into a stud or can the weight of the fixture be supported by screwing into gyprock wallboard between studs, using either plastic "E-Z Anchors" or anchors with pop-open tails?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-05, 12:07 PM
Most bathroom vanity fixtures are designed to be mounted to the wall, and not to an electrical box. And most contain a wiring compartment internal to the fixture, and thus need no electrical box at all.

For a lightweight fixture, most mounting techniques would work. I always try to hit a stud if I can, or use molly fasteners if I can't. I don't much like the expandable plastic inserts except for hanging very light things.

Remember that all splices must be in permanently accessible junction boxes.

Old 07-26-05, 10:35 PM
What John said.

Also - if you happen to get a fixture that does require a box, you can buy 3" and 4" round "old work" or "cut in" boxes that can be installed in the wall without fastening them to the studs.

Just don't try to hang a ceiling fan from one.