75 watt bulb puts out same light as 65 watt?

Old 07-27-05, 01:10 PM
JST829
Visiting Guest
75 watt bulb puts out same light as 65 watt?

Hi everyone. I've installed a number of recessed lights into the drop ceiling of my basement. After spacing them out evenly and turning them on, I realized I wanted a little more light. I'm using 65 watt bulbs, so I went to Home Depot to purchase some 75 watt ones (which, according to the trim packaging, is fine). I couldn't find any 75 watt R-30 bulbs, so I asked one of the employees working in that section. He told me that they don't carry the 75 watt R-30s because they are not any different from the 65w bulbs as far as how much light they put out.

Is this true?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-05, 05:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
not much diffrence in light
maybe a extra candle power but thats about it
that the problem with recess light they don't give much light you need to install more to compensate for light
depending on the size of the room
in other words
Unfortunately there are just too many factors that affect the number of lights needed to give a straight answer to this question. Factors include: the interior finishes of the room (Dark woods? Light colored walls? Large mirrors?), the type and size of recessed fixture used (4" aperture, 6" aperture, 2" pinhole aperture, black baffle or diffuse reflector?), the type and wattage of light bulb used (Reflector lamp? Diffuse A-Lamp?), and the intended function of the room (Is it a busy kitchen? An office? A circulation space? A bedroom that needs soft reading light?)

A lighting designers, woould look at a room, it is rare that hes looking at it to figure out simply "how many fixtures" it will need to give it a blanket of light. Instead heconsider all of the above questions as well as "Where can we add accent lights? Would the architecture benefit from an indirect cove or uplights? Would decorative sconces or a pendant enhance the interior design? Will specific task lighting aid in the function of the room?" More often than not we draw from several of these areas when compiling a lighting design - combining light types, intensities, and functions simply makes for the best design both aesthetically and functionally.

Old 07-28-05, 07:26 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A 65 watt R30 lamp puts out 725 lumens. A 75 watt R30 lamp puts out 755 lumens. The lumens/watt ratio is higher for the 65 watt lamp so you save $ on electricity with little degredation in light output. Many (most? all?) lamp manufacturers have discontinued 75 watt lamps as part of the overall trend toward energy efficiency.

Your fixtures - have you tried adjusting the interior such that the lamp face sits slightly below the face of the trim? If the lamp is way up in the fixture you lose a lot of light. You might also experiment with flood lamps vs. spot lamps to see if you can come up with more light in the room that way.

If yours are 6" lights, you can usually change the trim to allow R40 lamps. If you do that, most trims will allow for installation of lamps up to 150 watt. If you go to 150's, be careful not to overload your dimmer, if you have one.

Old 07-29-05, 01:34 PM
JST829
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info, guys!