Installing switch for vanity light.

Old 07-31-05, 08:43 AM
rudy10024
Visiting Guest
Installing switch for vanity light.

I am trying to install a vanity light in the bathroom. My problem is that there is no switch to control the light. My idea was just to add a switch but I keep blowing the circut breaker everytime I hook it up. Probably have no clue as to what I should be doing.
Here is the current (present) situation: The fixture has a light and an outlet with it. The light has a black and a white wire coming from it while the outlet has a black, white and green wire coming from it. There is also a bare ground wire on the fixture. I have two wires coming out of the wall, a black one and a white one. When I touch the black and white wires from the light to the corresponding wall wires, the light goes on and ditto for the switch but there is no way to turn the lights off. I tried joining all the white wires and all the black wires and running a new wire from each to a regular switch, connecting the white to one side of the switch and the black to the other side. You probably know the results. Yes, I am stupid, stop laughing!!! What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it? The other problem is that this is an old apartment and I don't have the ability to run new wires. I have to work with what I have. Is there a solution? Thanks for your help.

Old 07-31-05, 06:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Probably have no clue as to what I should be doing.
Apparently true. You should buy and read a couple of books on home wiring before starting such a project.

You are trying to create a switch loop. Here's the standard connection at the fixture:
  1. Connect the black power wire to the white wire from the switch. Neither of these two wires connects to the fixture. This white wire should be marked with a black magic marker to identify it as a hot wire.
  2. Connect the black wire from the switch to the black fixture wire.
  3. Connect the white wire from the power cable to the white wire from the fixture.
  4. Connect all grounding wires together.
But please don't do this until you read the books. There's more to electrical work than just connecting wires together.

Old 07-31-05, 08:38 PM
rudy10024
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by rudy10024
I am trying to install a vanity light in the bathroom. My problem is that there is no switch to control the light. My idea was just to add a switch but I keep blowing the circut breaker everytime I hook it up. Probably have no clue as to what I should be doing.
Here is the current (present) situation: The fixture has a light and an outlet with it. The light has a black and a white wire coming from it while the outlet has a black, white and green wire coming from it. There is also a bare ground wire on the fixture. I have two wires coming out of the wall, a black one and a white one. When I touch the black and white wires from the light to the corresponding wall wires, the light goes on and ditto for the switch but there is no way to turn the lights off. I tried joining all the white wires and all the black wires and running a new wire from each to a regular switch, connecting the white to one side of the switch and the black to the other side. You probably know the results. Yes, I am stupid, stop laughing!!! What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it? The other problem is that this is an old apartment and I don't have the ability to run new wires. I have to work with what I have. Is there a solution? Thanks for your help.

Thanks to Billy Boy without who's help the medical bill may have been more than the cost of a real electrician...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: