light switch doesnt work

Old 08-01-05, 02:59 PM
Breeze121
Visiting Guest
Question light switch doesnt work

I am trying to install an overhead celing light in a new home. the light has 7 wires, 3 black, 3 white and 1 copper wire. I have connected all 3 black wires to the black wire in the celing, the 3 white wires to the white in the celing and copper to copper. the light works when the power from the breaker box is turned on, however the light switch doesnt turn the light on or off. the light continuously stays on until the power from breaker box is turned off. how can i get the light switch to control the light and/or what am i doing wrong? PLease Help!!

Old 08-01-05, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
It sounds like you may have a switch loop. Carefully remove the cover plate from the switch and tell what color and how many wires you see both in the box and connected to the switch.

Old 08-01-05, 07:19 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
The three blacks and whites - do they all come from the fixture? If they do tell us all the other wires in the box. I think you are saying there is only a black and white other than the fixture wires in the box. If that is the case tell us all the wires in the switch box.

Old 08-03-05, 09:53 AM
Breeze121
Visiting Guest
Thank You!

Thank you all for your help! This gave me such a headach that i had a friend come over and fix it for me. Turns out that the red wire in the celing was the one needed to work the switch. The 3 white wires from the fixture were correct but the 3 black wires needed to be connected to the red. Anyhow, Thank you for your help and quick response.

Old 08-03-05, 12:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When did the red wire show up?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: