Ceiling/Light fan, red wire and switch box confusion.

Old 08-02-05, 05:50 PM
rlawsonw
Visiting Guest
Ceiling/Light fan, red wire and switch box confusion.

The bed rooms in my home are pre-wired for ceiling fan installation. I'm installing a ceiling/light fan. I'm confused about the red wire and the connections at the light switch box.

I disconnected the ceiling light fixture. The ceiling box contains a (4 wire jacket black/white/red). The red wire is stand-alone and capped. No problem here, connecting the ceiling/light fan is straight forward per the instructions.

Now when I get to the light switch box, confusion sets in. The light switch is a signal-pole toggle switch. There are 2 pairs of wire jackets in the switch box. A (3 wire jacket black/white/ground) and a (4 wire jacket black/white/red/ground). The two white wires are joined and capped, the red wire is stand-alone and capped. The grounds are joined and connected to the ground terminal on the switch. The black wire from the (3 wire jacket) is connected to the top terminal on the switch, and the black wire from the (4 wire jacket) is connected to the bottom terminal on the switch.

My questions are, where do I connect the red wire in the switch box, and do I have to do any other re-wire/connection in the switch box?

Help!

Old 08-02-05, 07:42 PM
J
Received 299 Votes on 256 Posts
I am going to make the following assumptions about how you want the fan hooked up.
1. Constant power for fan. you willuse the pull chains.
2. Light switch will control the lights on the fan.

At switch.
Leave whites and ground alone.
Disconnect both blacks from switch and connect together with a six inch pigtail.
Connect pigtail and red wire to switch.

At Fan
Connect white to fan white.
Connect black to fan black.
Connect red to fan blue.

This arrangement will have the red wire as the switched wire, which is most common.
Currently you have a switched black and the red is not being used. At least they installed it for future use which is to your advantage.

Old 08-03-05, 05:31 AM
rlawsonw
Visiting Guest
Additional Question for Joed

Joed,
Your assumptions are correct. I have a few additional questions.

1. Is putting the 2 black wires in a 6 inch pigtail the same as twisting the wires together and not striping the insulation?

2. Am I connecting the 2 black wires to the top or bottom terminal on the switch, or does it make a difference?

3. Is the red wire connected to the other terminal on the switch?

4. The fan base has a 3 wires black/white/black&white stripe. I'm assuming the black&white stripe wire is the conventional blue wire on most ceiling fans and should be connected to the red wire?

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-03-05, 08:13 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. No. Joe is referring to using a wire nut to connect the two black wires to a third black wire, which is 4-6 inches long and referred to as a "pigtail".

2. Makes no difference.

3. Yes.

4. Some fan manufacturers use a blue wire for the light, and some a black with a white stripe. But they are equivalent. So the answer to your question is yes.

Old 08-03-05, 03:04 PM
rlawsonw
Visiting Guest
Reply to John Nelson

John,
Thanks. for your response.

Ok let me see if I have this correct.

1. I need to purchase black electrical wire, cut it to 6 inches.

2. Connect the two existing black wires and the pigtail with a wire nut.

3. The other end of the pigtail will connect to the toggle switch.

Is this correct?

Again, Thanks.

Old 08-03-05, 05:21 PM
J
Received 299 Votes on 256 Posts
Everything is correct.
Most of us have some scrap wire so we don't actually need to buy a six inch piece of wire. The wire must be the same guage as the other wires in the box. That would be either #14 if on a 15 amp breaker or #12 for a 20 amp breaker.

Old 08-06-05, 08:38 PM
rlawsonw
Visiting Guest
Thanks Everybodies Help. This Project is complete

Folks,
Thanks for all your help and assistance. This project is completed.

This is indeed the home of the experts.

I happy FAN (pund intended).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: