Adding Dimer switch

Old 08-03-05, 06:01 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding Dimer switch

I replaced some old track lighting with a new and better set and wanted to add a dimmer switch. The box with the old standard on/off switch is in a box with 2 additional switches. The new dimmer has 3 wires, two black and green wire but the old box has 3 black and that looks to be copper. One of the three black wires in the standard on/off switch goes to the switch next to it.

The directions say the green wire on the new dimmer is the ground and I believe the copper wire is the ground and I'm not even sure on that - How do I wires this? Or can I wire this?

Old 08-03-05, 06:44 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the old switch had exactly two wires (not counting ground) connected to it, then exactly those same two wires will connect to the two non-green wires on your dimmer. Then connect the green wire from the dimmer to any bare and/or green wires in the box, if any.

If you old switch has more than two wires (not counting ground), then we need more details. (1) Does the lever on the switch say "on" and "off", or is it blank? (2) How are the wires connected? To the screws? Pushed into little holes? Or some of each? (3) If some of each, provide details, including which wire goes to which screw (top or bottom) and whether the top hole or the bottom hole or both are used.

Old 08-04-05, 04:18 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are three groups of wires coming into the box. From the switch I'm replacing there are two wires that are pushed into 2 little holes, one at the top and one at bottom of the switch. There are two connected by screws - one bare copper wires and one black copper wire.

The black copper wire is attached by the screw at the bottom (off position) and looks like it is attached to the switch to the right of it and then that switch is connected the next switch. The bare copper wire is attached to a screw on the opposite side but on the bottom (off position) just a little lower - the screw it's connected to is not part of the switch box, just a metal tab on the mounting bracket.

The switch I’m trying to replace is on the left hand side of a 3 switch box and it looks as though all the switches are connected. I should also note the middle switch is what we refer to as a “mystery switch” – it doesn’t do anything. The one on the right hand side control the ceiling fan in the kitchen and I kind of assume the middle would control lights on that fan if there were any…

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by emies; 08-04-05 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 08-04-05, 07:14 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Okay.

Take the two black wires at the bottom of the old switch (one in the hole and one on the screw) and connect both of them to one of the dimmer's black wires.

Take the one black wire at the top of the old switch (in the hole) and connectit to the other of the dimmer's black wires.

Take the bare wire on the old switch and connect it to the dimmer's green wire.

Don't disturb any of the wires connected to the other switches, nor any wires not connected to any switches.

To release the wires from the holes in the old switch you are removing, insert a very small screwdriver or paperclip into the slot next to the hole.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: