no power from switch, with new switch installed

Old 08-03-05, 06:19 PM
john richard
Visiting Guest
Arrow no power from switch, with new switch installed

we have a switch in the house that turns on the lights to the yard. It is shared with another circuit to operate the kitchen lights. They have operated fine for many years. The one that operates the yard lights doesn`t work now. we replaced the double switch with a new one and the kitchen is still fine but the yard lights will not come on. We checked the power, to both switches. Both are receiving power. Any ideas what else we could check. John

Old 08-03-05, 06:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Simple things first:
  1. If you haven't yet replaced the bulbs in the yard lights, do that first.
  2. Then take your voltmeter out to the yard lights and test for voltage on the supply wires with the breaker and switch both on (turn them both off while exposing the wires and then turn them back on). Test both black to ground and black to white.

Old 08-03-05, 07:38 PM
john richard
Visiting Guest
Arrow no power from switch with new switch installed

Thank you for your answer. We have low voltage lights as well as 110. All are not working. we have two outlets as well. We checked the outlets with the volt meter and no power was there.

Old 08-03-05, 07:47 PM
J
You should do the voltage check on each and every item controlled by the switch. Be sure to test both hot to ground and hot to neutral.

If you have voltage at the switch, and no voltage at any of the things the switch controls, then you must have a breach of the cable between. Anybody been doing any digging? Hanging any pictures? Mounting any shelves? Putting on new siding? Driving a nail or screw anywhere around into anything?

Old 08-05-05, 12:58 AM
john richard
Visiting Guest
Arrow No Power At Switch With New Switch Installed

lAST NIGHT ALL OF A SUDDEN WE LOOKED OUT AND ALL THE LIGHTS WERE ON. WE WERE SO EXCITED. WE HAD DONE NOTHING . TONIGHT THEY ARE ALL OUT AGAIN. ITS LIKE A GHOST STORY. ANY IDEAS

Old 08-05-05, 10:12 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You have a loose connection somewhere on the circuit at the switch or at any device after the switch. Is there a GFCI on the circuit that some one may be resetting without your knowing it?

Old 08-05-05, 02:00 PM
J
ANY IDEAS
You mean any ideas other than the other ideas we've already given you? What additional actions have you taken on the earlier ideas?

Old 08-07-05, 11:55 AM
john richard
Visiting Guest
Arrow No power with new power switch installed

Thanks for all the help. The lights are out with no power to any of the connections again. I have two circuits coming off the switch. I tested the one on the inside lights all is fine , one black one red.. The bottom switch has two black wires from it even if I had them connected wrong they would still work, but in a backward connection , right. I don`t think there is a break in the outside wiring, as they came on after being out for 3 days. I guess I will get a electrian as I don~t know what I am Doing. But I do appreciated the help. God Bless John.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: