Ceiling Fan wiring dilemma...runs constantly!

Old 08-13-05, 06:17 PM
maxpower2000
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Fan wiring dilemma...runs constantly!

I had a pre-existing light fixture that had a ceiling fan mounting box. When I removed the existing fixture, there were four wires. The fixture had a red and white wire hooked to it, a black wire which was capped, and a copper ground wire. The fan has a black, white, and green ground wire. I connected the black wires, the white wires, the ground wires, and capped the red wire. The fan now runs even if the light switch that used to control the fixture is off. Did I wire it incorrectly? Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-05, 07:17 PM
maxpower2000
Visiting Guest
I forgot to say that the fan has a wireless remote that can be used to control it. It turns off the fan and the light, but the switch does no longer control it. Is it wired correctly? Is this a potential hazard?

Old 08-13-05, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it's a fan with a remote, I don't think the switch controls the light at all.

Old 08-13-05, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connect black from the fan to red from the ceiling, and cap off (and do not use) the black from the ceiling. The black from the ceiling is unswitched power, and the red from the ceiling is switched power.

Old 08-14-05, 06:43 AM
maxpower2000
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot for the help! I'm going to try it and let you know how it goes.

Old 08-14-05, 01:28 PM
maxpower2000
Visiting Guest
It worked like a charm! The fan/light power can be shut off with the switch now, just like we wanted. Thank you for the help!!!!