getting shocked


Old 08-14-05, 04:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question getting shocked

While working in the yard I noticed that I was getting a mild electrical shock when working around the post of our yard light if the ground was damp. Soon after this all the flowers I had in this area died. The light is joined into a circut from the house and when my husband replaced the ceiling fan and light that is on this circut it started blowing the breaker on a very regular basis and we would get a popping sound when it blew. (the breaker is now turned off at all times.) On this circut we have 1 cieling fan and light 4 other ceiling lights and several plug ins including the one we use for our TV. The wire to the yard light was run through plastic pipe. We do not know where to start looking for the problem, and have not recieved a single responce from multiple calls to 3 different electricians.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-05, 09:37 PM
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 338
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like the underground wiring feeding the post light has gone bad. The fact the fault started showing itself afteryou installed the fan could be just a coincidence.

I'd disconnect the line to the yard light and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you'll have to pull new wire out to the yard light.
Old 08-15-05, 07:50 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You say that the breaker is off at all times, right? So that means that the ceiling fan and light, the post light, the television, four other ceiling lights, and the receptacles are dead all the time--including when you got the shock?

If the breaker is turned off, I don't see how the shock can be an electrical problem with that line.

Something strange is going on and it could be any of a number of things. You probably need a knowledgeable person on site to take a look.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: