Basic how to wire roof ventilator fans (2)

Old 08-17-05, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Basic how to wire roof ventilator fans (2)

My 1st time, installed roof vents (2), ran wire and connected one, and I just need to know how to run wire to # 2 motor (connect to) and where to splice in for the power supply. There are wires going all over the place up there <<-- !! -->>

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-05, 08:33 PM
ran wire and connected one
Not sure what this means. Elsewhere in your post you mention that you haven't even located a power source yet. So where exactly did you run the wire? And what kind of wire did you run?

Please give us the electrical specs on the fans, specifically the number of amps and/or watts.

Old 08-17-05, 09:29 PM
Red face

RE: Location of power source. there are all kinds of wire up there I think I could splice into. My problem is how do I locate the correct one, or do I splice into a different one for each vent as to not overload that circuit. I know about white to white and black to black and the non-insulated to the like one of those. I ran the wire (12 ga) to one vent motor w/w, b/b, using yellow twist caps and the non-insulated under the green screw. The other end of that wire will be either somehow attached in series to the other vent or wired the same to a different power source on another circuit. Basic to you guys. I have multiple sources (wires) up there and I really need to know how the splices work, from where to where, and etc. If the amps can be related to 1350 cfm, OK, if not I'll go back to Lowes and obtain that info. If this were an old Muscle car accessory, I could do that, but this is something I'm ignorant about and do not want to burn the house down .

Old 08-17-05, 09:51 PM
We can't answer any of your questions without the electrical specs. That's because we don't know if it is even possible to add this to an existing circuit, or whether you need a new circuit.

So post the specs when you find them. They will be listed on the nameplate on the fan itself, so you can either go back to Lowes, or go back to the attic.

Based on the 1350 CFM figure, it's unlikely that the fans use more than a couple of amps each, but find out for sure.

Selecting an appropriate wire to tap requires that you figure out which circuit each wire is on. That can only be done by following the wire to see where it comes from and goes to. You usually have to move a bunch of insulation out of the way to do so. You may need to make an educated guess about where it goes after it disappears down into the wall (e.g., what's right below that spot?). You need to find a cable that meets all of the following criteria:
  1. Is on a circuit with sufficient excess capacity.
  2. Is on a 120-volt circuit (not a 240-volt circuit).
  3. Has just three wires (black, white and bare).
  4. Is not on a circuit serving receptacles in a kitchen, bathroom or laundry area.
  5. Is not a cable between two switches, or between a switch and the thing the switch controls.

Old 08-18-05, 06:38 PM
Post Found out info:

120V/3.5A/60HZ on each unit. There are wires of your description up there, the best one I think would be the one that goes to the light switch up there (hot all the time). That having been resolved (I hope), how should the connections be? My thought is from the source to a junction box to the motors. That thought stops rat there. Your help starts rat there!!!!

I'm a real good automotive parts man, but not an electrician, period.
Thanks for all that you do

George

Old 08-18-05, 09:03 PM
You need 7 amps. It seems unlikely that one of your existing circuits has 7 amps to spare. You could look, but I'm not optimistic. You probably need a new circuit.