Lighting over kitchen sink

Old 08-20-05, 08:20 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lighting over kitchen sink

I am remodeling my kitchen, and have taken out a soffit over the kitchen sink. There used to be a light fixture over the kitchen sink shining straight down. Well, now I am wondering whether I should put a new light fixture above the sink on the ceiling or the wall? Any ideas for what kind of light I should put up would be greatly appreciated also. thank you.

Pete495

Old 08-27-05, 03:31 PM
DIYchik
Visiting Guest
If you have the room then install a recessed light. I myself installed a pendant light fixture with a 60w decorative bulb, that is on a dimmer. It is in a brushed nickle finish that is close to the stainless on my appliances.

Old 08-27-05, 04:59 PM
I suggest you make a visit to your local electrical supply house and see if they have a lighting display center as you would be surprised at the options you have for you to choose.

When we do a layout of the electrical for the kitchens ( unless it is a spec house ) we LOVE to take the client to the supply house and let them pick out lights and see the many options they have.

In your case you have different choices...Recessed, pendant style , rod and in many flavors....brass, nickel and rustic...another thing I tell our clients is to view some lighting books as well which are usually free to you at these lightning stores as well......do not limit yourself without looking at all the styles...

Their are Pro's and Con's to every style.....I personally like the look of pendant ROD lights over the sink area....just did a $ 600,000 dollar home with these over the island and sink area...it was sweet looking..

Or as Paris would say....It was HOT....ewwww...did I quote her?

Old 08-27-05, 10:20 PM
One point to consider is that generally you want what's called "task" lighting over a kitchen sink, because that is what you are usually doing there; washing dishes, preparing food or whatever. The light(s) should aim down at the sink. Recessed lighting and pendants are particularly suited to this use, but take a look at the choices like E-Man says above. You might precede your visit to the local lighting house by looking through Bellacor Lighting, Lamps Plus or Capitol Lighting online. They have literally hundreds of fixtures that you can search through. You may decide on a chandelier with antlers, and if so, they are available.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: