Flourescent fixtures and ground wires

Old 08-22-05, 06:50 AM
Question Flourescent fixtures and ground wires

I've installed several 8ft (4 T8 lamps each x 4ft long) on my garage ceiling. I've run 14/2 to/between the fixtures.

Where do I hook up the ground from the 14/2? There is no apparent spot on the fixture or the ballast. ???

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-05, 07:20 AM
I've only installed fluorescent fixtures a couple of times, but I seem to remember they had a green grounding screw somewhere.

Old 08-22-05, 11:08 AM
I'm in the midst of some rewiring and happend to take apart one of my flourescent fixtures. In mine there is a grounding screw on the fixture itself that the ground from the incoming power is connected to.

Old 08-22-05, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by seezar
I'm in the midst of some rewiring and happend to take apart one of my flourescent fixtures. In mine there is a grounding screw on the fixture itself that the ground from the incoming power is connected to.
Hmm, I don't see one in mine.

Would it be okay if I just drilled a hole in it and used a self-tapping screw to secure the ground? (of course I'd sand away the paint on the fixture)

Old 08-22-05, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Weez
Hmm, I don't see one in mine.

Would it be okay if I just drilled a hole in it and used a self-tapping screw to secure the ground? (of course I'd sand away the paint on the fixture)
Bump!!

Old 08-22-05, 04:51 PM
Nope, you aren't permitted to use a self tapping screw for equipment grounding.

There should be a screw there. Perhaps one of the screws that holds the ballast in will do.

Old 08-22-05, 07:01 PM
Some flourescent fixtures don't come with a green screw, but a hex shaped nut. But in this case their should be a "ground symbol" or the words "equipment ground near" the place where it belongs.

It would be rare that all 8 lights would be missing a screw. If these lights are new they should have some sort of grounding method.

Old 08-24-05, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by classicsat
Nope, you aren't permitted to use a self tapping screw for equipment grounding.

There should be a screw there. Perhaps one of the screws that holds the ballast in will do.
Why can't I use a self-tapping screw? There are several holes in the fixture where I could attach a screw.

The screws holding the ballast onto the fixture don't seem to be well-grounded to either the ballast or the fixture...

Old 08-24-05, 12:11 PM
Self tapping screws don't make a sufficiently good connection to be used as a reliable ground. Grounding pigtails with approved green screws are readily available at all home centers.

Old 08-24-05, 01:54 PM
It is an explicit rule in the NEC that you cannot use a self tapping screw for grounding.

But you are quite correct that some fixtures are made with pretty poor grounding. It is possible that this has been UL listed, and self tapping screws permitted for this manufacturer; it is even possible that this particular fixture has a counterfeit UL listing. There should be a tapped hole for the ground screws that John mentioned. If there is not such a tapped hole, then I would recommend using a matching nut and a toothed lockwasher.

-Jon