Ceiling Fan Motor gets Hot enough to Burn Hand

Old 08-25-05, 04:36 PM
wlampley39
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Fan Motor gets Hot enough to Burn Hand

Hello,

I am in the process of Installing New ceiling fans in a home over 50 years old. There were ceiling fans already installed. I removed the ceiling fans and started to install the new fans. In the junction box..there are 3 wires, a BLACK, A WHITE, and A bare copper wire. On the ceiling fan there are a BLACK wire, a BLUE, wire, a WHITE wire and a GREEN wire.
I attached the BLACK and BLUE wires to BLACK, the WHITE to WHITE, and the bare copper to the green.
MY problem is that the motor housing of the ceiling fan gets hot enough to burn your hand. There is also an odor as if something is burning.
So far I have tried 3 fans.....all of the same brand...and still have this problem.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Could I have just gotten 3 bad fans in a row?

wlampley39

Last edited by wlampley39; 08-25-05 at 04:39 PM. Reason: additional Information
Old 08-25-05, 04:45 PM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
You wired it properly.
What was the voltage on the old fans? Do light work or burn out very quickly. Although it would rare I'm thinking the old fan might have been 240 volt.
It could also be that there is a bad batch of fans if they all came from the same place.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: