replace ceiling fixture with a recessed "eyeball" light

Old 09-07-05, 05:58 AM
icewire
Visiting Guest
replace ceiling fixture with a recessed "eyeball" light

Hi, I have three hanging ceiling lights in my living room, with a cathedral ceiling. I am wanting to replace the hanging fixtures (just a simple one light bulb fixture) each with a recessed "eyeball" (one that can rotate to provide directed lighting). I am pretty comfortable with replacing fixture for fixture. What do I need to know about changing a "standard" fixture to a recessed? I was quoted close to $900 to replace all three....I would like to see if I could do this myself and save some money for my new baby on the way.

Thanks for your help, I think this forum is great for those of us who know something, but just not enough.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-05, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It should be easy to replace. A remodel can should cost you about $15, and the eyeball trip perhaps another $15. So for about $90 and a few hours work, you should be able to replace all three. A lot less than $900. Of course you'll need a ladder that's tall enough. And I would recommend using "air-tight" cans (which might be a bit more than $15). The connections should be easy if (and only if) you carefully pay attention to the connections on the old fixtures before you remove them.

Old 09-22-05, 11:36 AM
icewire
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the comments. What is an eyeball trip? Can you provide any more around the steps to install the eyeball? I have never worked with one before.

Thanks.

Old 09-22-05, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An eyeball trip is the same thing as an eyeball trim without the typo. Trim is installed as a final step and is trivial to install. It just clips to the can.

I suggest you visit your home center and read the installation instructions on a remodel can. If it looks like something you can do, then go for it.