Halogen Track Lighting Burn Out

Old 09-12-05, 06:13 PM
giuseppe331
Visiting Guest
Halogen Track Lighting Burn Out

Hi,

About six months ago, I replaced a ceiling fan/light combo fixture in my kitchen with a Halogen Track Kit (flexible track, five lights, 20W). I connected white fixture wire to white ceiling wire, black fixture wire to red ceiling wire, capped off black ceiling wire, connected green fixture wire to screw on ceiling box. Everything worked fine.

A few weeks ago the lights started to dim, occassionally, then more frequently, until the light no longer worked. I replaced bulbs and that didn't help. The last time I flipped the switch, there was even a small spark where the track connects to the main fixture and to the ceiling. I removed the fixture so I could check the wiring, and there is still current in the ceiling wires. That all looked fine.

However, there is black residue on the main fixture where it connected to the track. The track slides into the fixture via a tight pitchfork like slot. Within that slot is a plastic upside-down U shape piece that acts as a buffer between the sides of the track and fixture, but has an opening for the track to touch the metal part of the fixture at the top. That plastic piece has melted. Is the fixture ruined?

Also, any idea what may have caused this six months after installing it?

My house was built in 1987 if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help. And while I'm confident I checked the other postings so as not to repost, I apologize if I missed something.

Thanks!

Old 09-13-05, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Sounds like you may have had a poor quality connection that worsened over time. Poor connections will cause the heat to build up and can melt surrounding areas. The spark was an indication that the connection was not tight.

You will probably need to replace the track.

Also the ground wire should be connected to the bare or green wire in the ceiling box, not just the screw. All grounds need to be connected together.

Old 09-13-05, 01:34 PM
giuseppe331
Visiting Guest
Thanks PCBoss,

Could my failure to connect the ground properly have contributed to the buildup of heat? Also, could it be a matter of my having not tightened everything on the track enough? There is an air-vent in the ceiling about the track, just about five inches away, and I'm wondering if the constant flow of warm and now cool air in the summer could have loosened it.

Either way, I need to replace the part, but was wondering so I don't make the same mistake again.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: