Track Lighting and a suspended ceiling?

Old 09-14-05, 09:08 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Track Lighting and a suspended ceiling?

Hi,
I am planning on putting a drop ceiling in my basement. I want to use track lighting in various spots. What things do I have to consider about prepping for them, or even choosing the correct type of lights for this application?

Paul

Old 09-16-05, 12:11 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tatespa
Hi,
I am planning on putting a drop ceiling in my basement. I want to use track lighting in various spots. What things do I have to consider about prepping for them, or even choosing the correct type of lights for this application?

Paul
It's a pretty straightforward deal-

Put a junction box above the T-bar; feed it from the switch(es) you are going to use along with the associated neutrals and grounds. After you install the T-bar you can install the tracks on the runners before you install the tile. Depending on the municipality, you then hook the tracks to the j-box with either MC cable or flex conduit - I don't think Romex is acceptable above T-bar ceilings in most areas any more.

Check local code to see if extra ceiling wires are required to support the track itself (earthquake wires) and how far apart they can be.

There are 100 different lights available to work with a track - which ones you use is more a question of style than anything else.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: