Harbor Breeze fan installation help

Old 09-17-05, 05:34 PM
occsteve58
Visiting Guest
Question Harbor Breeze fan installation help

Hi, I am trying to install a ceiling fan with light kit combo in my bedroom in which there is presently no fixture on ceiling at all.It is a harbor breeze fan. I have only one single light switch in room which operates a corner outlet in which I've always lit up room by a floor lamp controlled by this switch.Inside the switch box is 2 romex wires coming one on top one on the bottom. The bottom cable has black,Red, white, and bare wires in it. the top cable coming in has 3 wires,1 black, 1white, and 1bare. The bare wires from both cables are joined together and connected to green terminal on switch. black wires from both cables are also connected together and brought to a terminal on the switch. The white wires from each cable are just capped together. And the last single red wire from the bottom cable is going to the final terminal on the switch. I'm replacing the single gang switch box with a double gang switch box. I also purchased a dual slider switch to operate the fan/ light combo and still use the other exsisting switch for operating the wall outlet as it is now. The new switch has a 1 red, 1black, 1 yellow and 1 green wire on it. The fan has 1blue for light , 1 black,1 white coming off it. can i wire the new switch off of the old outlet switch and run romex up inside wall over ceiling in attick to fan like i had planned? Also I purchased 14/3 romex for this job.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-05, 07:27 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please tell us what the switch instruction say about those four wires on the switch. What is the function of each?

Does the switch operate both halves of the receptacle, or just one half?

Most probably, you can run your new 14/3 cable from the ceiling either to the switch box or to the switched receptacle box. We'd need you to describe the wiring at the switched receptacle box to be absolutely sure.

Old 09-17-05, 08:37 PM
J
Have you got a switch that has a wiring diagram like this?

Old 09-18-05, 03:04 AM
occsteve58
Visiting Guest
occsteve58

Originally Posted by John Nelson
Have you got a switch that has a wiring diagram like this?
occsteve no not exactly I have a Lutron Fan Control and dimmer switcc S2-LFSQH-WH 300 Watt Incandesecent/Halogen 120v light 1.5 Amp Fan swirtch controls one ceiling fan and light Skylark designer style 3 speedfan control &slide-to-off Dimmer It states on box an electrical cable with 3 insulated wires from the electrical box where this control is installed to the fan/light. it will have red , black, and a white wire it may or may not have a ground wire usually bare copper. there may be other electrical cables in the box in addition to the 3 wire cable The diagram on the back of the switch itself shows the red to lights, yhe yellow to fan black to hot and green is ground.

Old 09-19-05, 06:55 AM
J
Does the existing switch operate both halves of the receptacle, or just one half?

Old 09-28-05, 06:29 PM
occsteve58
Visiting Guest
Wink occsteve58

Does the existing switch operate both halves of the receptacle, or just one half?
Both halves of the receptacle!!

Old 09-28-05, 07:43 PM
J
Yes, you can run a new 14/3 from the switch box to the ceiling and use the control you describe. I suggest you make the corner receptacle permanently hot (unswitched).

At the wall box:
  • Connect all three bare wires to the green wire on the new switch.
  • Connect the preexisting two black and one red wire to the black wire on the new switch.
  • Connect all three white wires to each other with a wire nut.
  • Connect the red from your new 14/3 to the red of the new switch.
  • Connect the black from your new 14/3 to the yellow of the new switch.
At the ceiling:
  • Connect black from ceiling to black from fan.
  • Connect red from ceiling to blue from fan.
  • Connect white from ceiling to white from fan.
  • Connect ground from ceiling to ground from fan.

Old 10-14-05, 08:00 PM
occsteve58
Visiting Guest
Smile Occsteve58

Yes, you can run a new 14/3 from the switch box to the ceiling and use the control you describe. I suggest you make the corner receptacle permanently hot (unswitched).

At the wall box:
  • Connect all three bare wires to the green wire on the new switch.
  • Connect the preexisting two black and one red wire to the black wire on the new switch.
  • Connect all three white wires to each other with a wire nut.
  • Connect the red from your new 14/3 to the red of the new switch.
  • Connect the black from your new 14/3 to the yellow of the new switch.
At the ceiling:
  • Connect black from ceiling to black from fan.
  • Connect red from ceiling to blue from fan.
  • Connect white from ceiling to white from fan.
  • Connect ground from ceiling to ground from fan.
yEAH! yOU WERE SO HELPFUL,WIRING WENT JUST AS YOU SAID. WEB SITE IS AWESOME TOO!!!.sTILL USED THE EXSISTING ORIGIONAL SWITCH THOUGH TO OPERATE THE CORNER RECEPTICLE THOUGH AND THE NEW SWITCH ALONG SIDE IT IN A DOUBLE GANG BOX. tHE LIGHT ON FAN WORKS GREAT WITH IT'S DIMMER CONTROL AND THE FAN ITSELF ALSO WORKS AS IT SHOULD WITH IT'S VARIABLE SPEED SLIDE SWITCH . tHANK YOU SO MUCH . YOU SAVED ME $$$ AND TIME WAITING FOR AN ELECTRICIAN TO SHOW UP. iT'S HARD TO FIND ONE TO SHOW UP FOR WHAT THEY MUST CONSIDER AROUND HERE AS A SMALL FILL IN JOB AND PUT YOU ON THE BACK BURNER SO TO SPEAK IN FAVOR OF DOING MORE MONEY MAKING JOBS. BUT THIS WAS IMPORTANT TO ME AND MY WIFE WAS TICKLED PINK THAT I GOT IT DONE IN SUCH A TIMELY FASHION WITHOUT THROUGHING TOOLS AROUND AND GETTING FRUSTRATED. i'M A HERO FOR A DAY IN MY HOME.