New Ceiling Fan Install Advice

Old 09-20-05, 10:44 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Ceiling Fan Install Advice

Hello everyone. I'm thinking about installing a ceiling fan in a room that doesn't currently have electricity run into the ceiling. I've done some internet research on how to do it and figured it didn't hurt to ask if anyone had some tips on how to do it and what to buy. The walls & ceiling are drywall. This is my plan so far: expose a small portion of joist for each joist I need to cross to get to the box location and notch these. Notch the 2x4 header where the ceiling meets the wall that has the source voltage. Fish 12/3 or 14/3 from the source to the fan location and cover the notches with nail plates before replacing the drywall.

Here's where a little advice will help. I noticed that there are several types of boxes that are made for ceiling mounting and, in particular for ceiling fans. Is any one better than another? I was looking at a bracketed box that mounts directly to the joist but also saw boxes that mount inbetween joist thorugh the use of hangers. Is either method better than the other? I also read that you should always use a metal box and not a plastic one. Does that go for the ruggedized plastic as well? Anyway, I'd really appreciate any tips that you may have that will make the job go a little smoother. Thanks alot!

Old 09-20-05, 07:29 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can I assume from your plan that there is no accessible attic above this room?

It will be structurally better not to notch anything. This is especially important if you don't know how much you can afford to weaken the structural member. It is much better to remove enough drywall so that you can drill a hole in the center of whatever structural member you need to get through. You'll have to patch the drywll and paint anyway, and patching a larger hole is usually no more effort than patching a smaller hole.

As long as you use a box that is explicitly rated for a ceiling fan, you should be okay. As far as I know, all such boxes are metal, and not just any metal box. Those hangers that go between joists are ideal.

Old 09-21-05, 05:19 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I don't have any access space to the ceiling so I'm very limited in my options to run the cable.

Old 09-23-05, 05:32 PM
learnsdahardway
Visiting Guest
Also, whatever you do, make sure you secure the box nice and tight (I have used 3.5" screws in the past just to make sure!)......the box will need to support a substantial amount of weight. The last ceiling fan I installed stated right in the instructions that the junction box MUST be able to support 60lbs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: