flickering with compact fluorescent bulbs in ceiling fan fixture

Old 09-24-05, 10:05 PM
DSmith
Visiting Guest
flickering with compact fluorescent bulbs in ceiling fan fixture

We just had two ceiling fans installed (each with two light bulb sockets). The light output with incandescent bulbs is not good enough. We tried to switch to compact fluorescent bulbs, but there is a flickering that occurs. When I place one fluorescent bulb and one incandescent bulb in, the flickering is gone. When I place just one fluorescent bulb in and leave the other socket empty, the flickering is present. Can anyone explain why this happens and/or offer a solution? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-05, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My guess would be that it has to do with the dimming circuit in the ceiling fan. CF lamps don't work on dimming circuits.

You're probably stuck with using incandescent light bulbs exclusively.

Old 09-25-05, 06:04 AM
Probably one or more of things, such as. Inductance from the close proximity of the fan motor, vibration, not getting a solid ground, dimmer switch (if you are using one).

Old 10-19-09, 10:02 AM
Lckydg

My ceiling fan light kit was attached with two quick connects that apparently did not connect very well and caused my fluorescent lights to flicker and the incandescent ones did not?? I cut out the quick connects and reconnected wires with wire nuts and no more flickering.

Old 10-19-09, 06:58 PM
You have to be carefull due more and more ceiling fans do have load senseing electronic device and they will limit the current so it will not go over the max wattage of the luminare rating.

Merci.
Marc