Crackling light switch - Is it the ground connection?

Old 09-25-05, 07:26 AM
Pplati
Visiting Guest
Crackling light switch - Is it the ground connection?

I am in the process of switching an old outdoor light to my deck from an old fixture to a new motion sensored halogen light.

I made the connections correctly however, I suspect that there might be an issue with my ground connection because I get popping and snapping sounds in the light switch?

Can anyone confirm if my suspicion with regard to the ground wire is correct and if so, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks
Pete

Old 09-25-05, 07:40 AM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
You didin'y tell us how you wired it so we can't tell if you did it wrong.
Ground will have nothing to do with crackling in your light switch.

Old 09-25-05, 12:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As Joe said, we need more information (a lot more information) to discover what's wrong. Also as Joe said, it is unlikely that grounding has any role in the problem.

Is the light switch brand new? Are the connections most excellent? Is the wire copper? Did you repack the box carefully?

Old 09-27-05, 01:41 PM
C
Most likely the switch is old or underrated for the new fixture.

Old 05-07-06, 06:26 AM
B
old or dirty switch

mate it is probably an old switch, i had a problem last weekend with the light switch in my dining room, crackled and sparked and the lights flickered with it, changed the switch, and then cracked open the old switch mech and the things contacts were dirty and burned cos of the arcing. it may be the same in your case or, the fixture u put in is drawing too much for the switch

Old 05-07-06, 08:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Agree with the others, it is probably a "soft" switch, meaning the contacts aren't solidly connecting when you throw it, and the popping is probably internal arcing. De-energize the circuit and replace the switch, to see if it solves the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: