help connect ceiling fan

Old 09-25-05, 06:24 PM
vishay23
Visiting Guest
help connect ceiling fan

switch controls outlet. 14/3 connects the connect 14/2 for oulet.
switch is dimmer
black to black and pigtail to brass.
white to white spliced together.
red connected to the other brass.
Ceiling fan has black-blackwhite-white
remote has black--blue and other side of the has red and white.

I connected black to black, blue to blackwhite, and white to white.
I'm using 14/2 to connect remote to the switch.
Is it ok to connect black to the black to black and pigtail to brass(on the switch)
Is there a way i can have outlet live all the time.

Old 09-25-05, 08:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's a violation of the National Electrical Code for a dimmer switch to control a receptacle (if "receptacle" is what you meant by "outlet").

When you say "remote", are you taking about and hand-held remote transmitter, a wall-mounted switch, or a ceiling mounted remote receiver??

Using a dimmer switch on the input of a fan's remote receiver will probably burn out both the fan motor and the remote receiver. Use a standard wall switch. The remote will provide all the dimming you need.

If you have a remote receiver at the ceiling, you must connect the red and white (if you want to use the wall switch) or black and whtie (if you want not to use the wall switch) from the ceiling to the input of the remote receiver. Cap off the other wire coming from the ceiling.

If you have a wall switch that came with the fan, or is specifically designed to control fans, provide the make and model number of this unit.

If I have misinterpreted any of your post, please fill in the details.

Old 09-26-05, 04:10 PM
vishay23
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan help

the switch controls receptacles
switch smiliar to Leviton Model 5601-2W
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...4+4233&pos=n12

One group=black(hot)-white-red
Sec. group=black-white
both black spliced and pigtail to top brass screw
reb connect to bottom brass screw
both white spliced
ground wires connected to ground screw

Hunter Augusta III
black-blackwhite-white

Hampton Thermostatic ceiling fan remote control (model 838 956)
one side black-blue-white
other side red-whites

I'm willing to change the switch. What kind of switch should i get so I can controll light on the ceiling fan. How should the connection be made

Also dont want to controll receptacles with the switch, want it to be live all the time.

Old 09-27-05, 11:51 AM
vishay23
Visiting Guest
need help with ceiling fan

the switch controls receptacles
switch smiliar to Leviton Model 5601-2W
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...84+4233&pos=n12

One group=black(hot)-white-red
Sec. group=black-white
both black spliced and pigtail to top brass screw
red connect to bottom brass screw
both white spliced
ground wires connected to ground screw

Hunter Augusta III
black-blackwhite-white

Hampton Thermostatic ceiling fan remote control (model 838 956)
one side black-blue-white
other side red-whites

I'm willing to change the switch. What kind of switch should i get so I can controll light on the ceiling fan. How should the connection be made

Also dont want to controll receptacles with the switch, want it to be live all the time.

Old 09-27-05, 12:43 PM
C
Simply connect the wire from the switch to the other blacks, or have a regular toggle switch the black going to the ceiling.
The resd ire does what in that box? If it is for the switched half of the recepticals, it shoudl be tied to the blacks also, to have it always hot.

Old 09-28-05, 09:26 AM
J
Sorry for the slow response. This is one of those cases where solving the problem will take some time, and I need to wait until I have a larger block of available time to investigate. Stay tuned.

Old 09-28-05, 08:33 PM
J
I searched for instructions on that remote, but came up empty. You'll have to get out the instructions and tell me what the instructions say about the function of each of those five wires.

Also, tell me what the wall switch did before you did anything. Did it control receptacles and only receptacles? Was there anything at the ceiling before? Or did you add a ceiling box? If you added the ceiling box, what type of cable did you run to it and where did you run it from. If the ceiling box was preexisting, then what wires are in it.

Old 09-30-05, 10:38 AM
vishay23
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
I searched for instructions on that remote, but came up empty. You'll have to get out the instructions and tell me what the instructions say about the function of each of those five wires.

Also, tell me what the wall switch did before you did anything. Did it control receptacles and only receptacles? Was there anything at the ceiling before? Or did you add a ceiling box? If you added the ceiling box, what type of cable did you run to it and where did you run it from. If the ceiling box was preexisting, then what wires are in it.
Switch control the receptacles only.
I had nothing in the ceiling before so I added the junction box. and ran 14/2 wire from juction box to the switch.
Infructions for remote receiver
1. connect Green wire for fan to the Bare copper(ground) from juction box.
2. connect Red wire(AC IN L) from the Receiver unit ot the Black wire from juction box.
3. connect White wire(AC IN N) from Receiver unit to White wire from junction box.
4 Connect White wire(To MOTOR N) from Receiver unit to White wire from fan.
5. Connect Black or Red wire (TO Motor L) from Receiver unit to Black or Red wire from Fan
6. Connect Blue wire (For Light) form Receiver unit to Blue wire from fan
7. After wire are connected, car

Instruction for Fan
Blk/wht=one cable
1. Connect Blk/Wht from fan to Wall Switch Wire for sperate control of light fixture or
2. Connect Blk/Wht Wire if there is no separa Wall Switch Wire for the light fixture.

Old 09-30-05, 01:27 PM
J
So I think I'm confused. Is this a wall-mounted control, or a hand-held control? If wall mounted, what are the instructions for the wall-mounted unit?

I'm also confused about bullet 5 where you say "Connect Black or Red wire (TO Motor L) from Receiver unit". Why do they give you a choice of which wire on the receiver unit to connect to? Don't they know what the color the "TO Motor L" wire is on their own unit? Are the wires labeled, so maybe you can tell me what color that wire is (since you're looking at it)?

Old 09-30-05, 07:06 PM
vishay23
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
So I think I'm confused. Is this a wall-mounted control, or a hand-held control? If wall mounted, what are the instructions for the wall-mounted unit?

I'm also confused about bullet 5 where you say "Connect Black or Red wire (TO Motor L) from Receiver unit". Why do they give you a choice of which wire on the receiver unit to connect to? Don't they know what the color the "TO Motor L" wire is on their own unit? Are the wires labeled, so maybe you can tell me what color that wire is (since you're looking at it)?
Its a hand-held control.
Receiver wire
light=blue
fan=black
com=white
Acl=red
Acn=White

Fan wire
Black
Black/White=one wire
White
Green
1. Connect blk/wht wire from fan to wall switch wire for separate control of light fixture or
2. connect blk/wht from fan to ceiling black wire if there is no separate wall switch wire for light fixture.

I connected
Receiver Fan
blue to blk/white
black to black
white to white

Need to know the connection if i wire 14/2 from ceiling junction box to switch box.

Old 09-30-05, 07:34 PM
J
So I now understand you ran a new 14/2 from the switch box to the ceiling box.

At the ceiling box, connect the 14/2 black to the "AC IN L" wire of the receiver. Connect the 14/2 white to the "AC IN N" of the receiver.

At the wall switch (which I now understand to be just an ordinary non-dimmer rocker switch), connect the new 14/2 white wire in with the other two white wires. Then remove the red wire from the switch and connect it to the two black wires in the wire nut. Then connect the black wire of the new 14/2 to the screw you just removed the red wire from.

Whew! I think that'll do it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: