overheating halogen magnetic transformer


  #1  
Old 09-26-05, 11:17 AM
Shasu
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
overheating halogen magnetic transformer

I recently installed a low voltage halogen rail lighting system which utilizes a magnetic transformer. It is on a 3 way switch with 2 seperate fixtures.
The transformer seems to be overheating after using for several hours--ie, it gets almost too hot to touch and you can smell it overheating. Could this be caused by using an incandescant fixture with 3x 25watt bulbs on the same 3 way switch? I have checked all the wiring connections and rail connections several times and everything is tight. The ligts seem to function fine otherwise. I planned on using the same low voltage halogen fixture as the other fixture on the switch (would have 2), but dont want to spend more time installing before I figure out the problem. Is there an easy way to troubleshoot this? Thanks.
 
  #2  
Old 10-04-05, 02:12 PM
P
Member
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 62
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like the transformer is overloaded.

This means too many watts on the system. Check what the transformer can handle and add up the wattage of the bulbs.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: