Can't get new dimmer switch to work with new light fixture

Old 09-26-05, 04:05 PM
DogLover
Visiting Guest
Can't get new dimmer switch to work with new light fixture

I used to have a chandelier with an old dimmer switch. I got rid of the chandelier and had a friend install a new light fixture (track lighting). The old dimmer switch wouldn't work with the new fixture, so I got a new dimmer switch (it's for a single-pole wiring application). According to the directions on the new switch, I need to connect the green dimmer ground to the green or bare copper wire in wall box. Black dimmer wire goes to any wire that was connected to the old switch. White dimmer wire goes to white neutral wall box wire, and remaining red dimmer wire connected to the remaining wall box wire.

The problem: The old dimmer switch has only 2 wires.. both black. One was connected to the black wire in the box and the other was connect to the red wire in the box. There was no ground or white or any other wires.

The box has 2 switches on it. A regular switch for the kitchen and a place for a different switch (the dimmer) for the light I'm trying to connect. I know that the lights were installed correctly, but I can't seem to get the switch to work.

The boxes wires not attached to the kitchen light switch: 2 blacks and 1 white attached together with 1 black coming off of it to attach to the switch. A red wire to attach to the switch. 3 white wires twisted and connected together. 3 copper wires in the very back twisted and connected together.

Any ideas how I can connect this dimmer switch and make the lights work?? (I took pictures before I realized I wouldn't be able to attach them).

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-05, 04:36 PM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
Connect the dimmer white to the three white connected together.
Connect the dimmer green to the bare wires.
Connect the other two dimmer wires to the red and black that were attached to the other switch.