Above Cabinet Lighting?

Old 10-04-05, 12:47 PM
kburns5111
Visiting Guest
Red face Above Cabinet Lighting?

Hello there.. This is my first time posting.. I need help with ideas on above my cabinets. I would like to put some type of lighting. Can I use the under cabinet lighting or do I have to use something else. This is merely decoative lighting I would like in my sofit area.. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes you can use under cabinet lighting above. I have fluorescents above mine. If you use quartz then be carefull of heat. don't set things on top of the lights. Things may catch on fire.

Old 10-04-05, 05:46 PM
kburns5111
Visiting Guest
Thank you I have read that the halogen lights would burn my cabinets do you know if that is ture? Thank you again for all your help.

Old 10-05-05, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by kburns5111
Thank you I have read that the halogen lights would burn my cabinets do you know if that is ture? Thank you again for all your help.
No they won't unless they are installed wrong or the lamps are too high of wattage. I have halogen under my cabinets and I keep them on low. I did find that on high they heated up items in the cabinet. (canned foods)

There are newer designs out that don't get as hot also.

Old 10-06-05, 11:27 AM
kburns5111
Visiting Guest
Thank you

Thank you for all your help!! I can't wait to start this project.. Thanks again

Old 10-06-05, 12:02 PM
Wink

I have always used and they do down here also for a tray ceiling over are around the sofit of the cabinets. the cheap fluorescent lights and just lay them up on top there. Have tried the small halogen under the cabinets bulbs cost to much to hot like said had to put to many new bulbs in .
took them out and put the small cheap fluorescent lights under the cabinets. they burn all day and dont cost much electric at all.

ED

Old 10-07-05, 10:20 AM
kburns5111
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much.. This helps

Old 10-10-05, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
I have always used and they do down here also for a tray ceiling over are around the sofit of the cabinets. the cheap fluorescent lights and just lay them up on top there. Have tried the small halogen under the cabinets bulbs cost to much to hot like said had to put to many new bulbs in .
took them out and put the small cheap fluorescent lights under the cabinets. they burn all day and dont cost much electric at all.

ED

Hi. Do you have any pictures of your kitchen with the fluorescent above-cabinet lights turned on? I've given some thought to above-cabinet lighting but hadn't considered using fluorescents. Thanks!

Old 10-10-05, 06:47 PM
Wink

Sorry dont have any. But it works good Just use the cheap 4' single lights and set them by the back wall. So you dont see them. When I say tray ceiling. here they take a 2' X4' plastic. that you use in a drop ceiling. Put it in a track at the edge of the cabinet. Bend it in a curve out and up to a track on the ceiling. You do this all around the kitchen on the top cabinets. With the lights behind it.
just buy one and lay it up there see if you like it.
have used the fluorescent lights this way for years. Found just turn them on and let them on dont be turning them on and off all the time.They last for years and years
They also down here now. Raise the bath cabinets 6".Then put flurescent lights under them in that kick space. You cant see them but it lights the whole floor up.

Try it you will like it ED

ED