Switch wiring

Old 10-06-05, 11:01 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question on switch wiring

Just wanted to check to make sure what I did was right and not illegal. I have 12-2 wire running from a receptacle. From that receptacle I went to the living room light switch. I pigtailed off of that wire, to a second switch to control the front porch light. There is only a total of 6 receptacles/switches on this circuit including the two switches mentioned. This is a newly built room and I haven't tested it yet. Thanks for anyones help. Whoops didn't mean to jump in on someones elses post. sorry.. I will move it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-05, 11:42 AM
J
PopPop, there is nothing in your post that is wrong, although not enough detail to verify that it is right.

Old 10-06-05, 04:21 PM
P
John let me try to clarify. The last receptacle on the circuit I will call receptacle D. I have a 12-2 wire running to (power coming in from that side) and from receptacle D and goes to a switch box. Inside the switch box I have two single pole switches. The 12-2 wires goes to switch A which controls the living room light. It is the standard wiring scheme. Black to the lower screw, then black to the upper screw. Whites or neutrals are wirenutted together. Ground wire is connected to the grounding screw on the switch. I then pigtailed off each 12-2 wire to the second single pole switch called switch B and connected them the same way. So basically I split the single 12-2 wire coming into the switch box to work two switches independently. It sounds simple enough and I hope I am not over complicating it. As always thanks for everyones help.

Old 10-06-05, 08:53 PM
J
You didn't quite say so, but I assume you have a 12/2 running from each light to the switch that controls it. True? There are three 12/2 cables coming into the switch box, right?

And where exactly is the receptacle you got power from?

Old 10-07-05, 11:53 AM
P
You didn't quite say so, but I assume you have a 12/2 running from each light to the switch that controls it. True? There are three 12/2 cables coming into the switch box, right?

And where exactly is the receptacle you got power from?

Yes there is a 12/2 running from each light to the switch that controls it.

There is only ONE (unless you are talking about three 12/2 cables as being one white, one black and one neutral, if so then there there is 3. ) 12/2 cable coming into the switch box from the receptacle, unless we are counting what I pigtailed off, then its will be as follows, one 12/2 from the receptacle to the switch box, then I pigtail inside the box to both switches, making only two cables inside the box.

The receptacle is at the end of a living room circuit, and I wired the light switches to continue the circuit.

Old 10-24-05, 05:51 PM
P
End Result....

Once I connected the wires to the ceiling light it all worked like it was supposed to. The porch light worked fine also. I guess the circuit has to be completed before it works, not partially completed and testing it with a electrical tester. Thanks for everyones help.