replacement ceiling fan

Old 10-12-05, 05:36 PM
Michael press
Visiting Guest
replacement ceiling fan

I am trying to wire a ceiling fan to existing wiring from a previous unit and don't remember how it came out. I have two separate switches and therefor have two white and two black wires out of the ceiling. How do I wire up the 4 wires out of the fan/light combo? Any help or further clarification would be appreciated.

Old 10-12-05, 07:14 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We seem to be having a rash of people who removed a fixture and didn't record how it was connected. That always makes things much harder.

Most likely what you are looking at is a switch loop. It has nothing to do with having one switch or two. Let's start with four questions:
  1. What, if any, electrical test equipment do you own? If none, do you want some?
  2. Are the two switches 3-way switches (switch levers are blank) in different places, or two single-pole switches (switch levers say "on" and "off") in the same box?
  3. Do you want the wall switches to control both the fan and its light, or just the light?
  4. Have you tried anything that failed yet? If so, what did you try and how did it fail?

Old 10-12-05, 07:49 PM
Michael press
Visiting Guest
2 single poles in two different boxes. I haven't tried anything yet. I have a voltage meter(?) And the switches can just control the light as I can pull the chain for the fan. Thanks

Old 10-13-05, 08:05 AM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's clarify the switches a bit more. You said two single poles in two different boxes. That's not one of the choices I gave you, so I need more information.

Before you took down the old "unit", what did the swtiches do? Could you turn the "unit" on and off with either switch? Or did just one of the switches do that, and if so, what did the other switch do?

And what exactly was the old "unit"?

Is your voltage meter a device with two probes and either a needle or a digital display?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: