Convert plug in Fixture to Hard Wired

Old 10-13-05, 07:06 PM
DSA55
Visiting Guest
Convert plug in Fixture to Hard Wired

My daughter bought a light fixture (online) that she thought was a ceiling mount (hardwired) fixture. It arrived and has a long plug in cord with an inline on off switch. Is there any way to hardwire the fixture to the existing ceiling mount box in a safe manner?

Old 10-13-05, 08:24 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but no.

Old 10-14-05, 08:45 AM
mehtools
Visiting Guest
Sure hang the thing

So the light is a hanging lamp. On a chain, All you are going to do is move the plug from the outlet and about 15 feet of cord to the ceiling.

You home improvement store can supply you with a chain ceiling mount. I have bought them there, or if they don't have one buy an inexpensive lamp and use what you want.
You of course need to make sure the lamp is not too heavy for the ceiling box. if it is larger, then reinforcing the outlet box in the ceiling will be necessary.
Cut the existing chain to accomodate the height you want, hook the new ceiling mount bracket too the chain on the lamp and viola it now hangs from the ceiling and is switched on the wall. Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-05, 10:53 PM
C
Sorry, but as John said, no. The fixture was designed and approved as a cord and plug connected device, removing the plug would void the approval, and ergo hardwiring it would be essentially illegal. Technically, it would likely work, but doing things safely and to code is also important.

Old 11-03-05, 05:28 PM
shera1977
Visiting Guest
Removing the plug to hard wire if illegal???

I have the same problem!!!!!!!!! You mean to tell me that even if I bought it it's illegal to cut off the plug in order to hard wire it into the ceiling to make it a chandelier??? Come on - I want it to work not have it inspected!

Old 11-05-05, 11:55 AM
C
More or less yes. To the pooint, the fixture was designer and approved to be a cord-and-plug connected device, and altering the design by hardwiring it voids that approval.

The law comes into it when something goes wrong, in that the manufacturer can no longer be held liable because you voided the listing of the device

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: