Dusk to dawn adaptor causes weak light

Old 10-15-05, 12:57 PM
pgoodley
Visiting Guest
Dusk to dawn adaptor causes weak light

I have two driveway lights that are always on. I believe at one time (before I owned the house) they must have been on some kind of timer, but I can't find it.

I have dawn to dusk adaptors that I screw into the socket, which work very well as far as turning the light on and off appropriately, but the lamps have a yellowish cast to them, and are dim, not a nice bright white light. Are the adaptors drawing power away from the bulbs? Is there anything I can do?

Thank you!

Old 10-15-05, 01:30 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The adaptor would draw a trivial amount of power, not enough to cause the symptoms you describe.

Try this experiment. Go out there on the next dark night when the light is on, unscrew the adaptor and screw the bulb directly into the socket. Does it appear significantly different than it did just one minute earlier?

Old 10-15-05, 07:29 PM
pgoodley
Visiting Guest
Tried removing the adaptor

Both lights are on now, and I just removed the adaptor from one, and after installing the bulb directly into the fixture, the light was very bright and white. With the adaptor reinstalled, it's once again dim, and a it seems ever so slightly flickering.

The fixture says 100W max bulb, the adaptor says 150W, and the bulb is 100W, so I haven't exceed the spec.

So...it remains a mystery to me.

Thanks,
Pam

Old 10-16-05, 05:02 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you give us exact information (make and model) on the adaptor. Perhaps it has a diode in it.

Old 10-17-05, 08:46 AM
pgoodley
Visiting Guest
Brand/Model

On the adaptor, it says "HEMCO SLC-4-120 VAC 150W". It's hard to read, but that "C" in the "SLC" could possibly be a G, but I think it is a "C".

Thanks,
Pam

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: