3 way switch @ beginning & end of lights

Old 10-15-05, 03:03 PM
Weeze
Visiting Guest
3 way switch @ beginning & end of lights

I am trying to install 3 flourescent lights between 2 3-way switches. I have 2 wire cable going to the first switch, black to the common and white to the white of the 3 wire cable to each of the lights. I have used the red as a traveller; bypassing the lights and running to the final 3 way switch. From the common on the final switch I have connected the black to the last light. How do I get power to the rest of the lights and still have another traveller??

Old 10-15-05, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
As you have discovered, you do not have enough travellers the way you have wired your fixtures. The is no way to make this work.

Replace the wire run between the 2 3ways with a 3 conductor + ground cable, using black and red as travellers. Whites will splice through. Grounds will splice through.

From the 2nd 3 way run a 2 wire cable + ground to the 1st fixture. The black from this cable will be the Common on the 3 way switch. The black and red from the 3 wire cable are your travellers.

From the 1st fixture to the 2nd fixture etc run a 2 wire cable splicing color to color.

Splice all grounds together and add a pigtail to ground the switches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: