Need help installing a Single-Pole Switch/Pilot Light

Old 10-15-05, 06:09 PM
jorusfett
Visiting Guest
Need help installing a Single-Pole Switch/Pilot Light

I am trying to switch out a single pole switch/pilot light that controls the light in a pantry. The switch has a light indicator on it to let you know if the light is on or not.

The new switch that was purchased is much different from the older one just by the layout of the screws (2 black on one side, 2 silver on the other).

The problem I am having is that the old switch has 3 white wires and 2 black wires going to it. Two of the white wires were attached to the same screw.

When I hooked up the switch in a similar fashion, the light didn't work at all.

Can anybody assist here on how to wire up this new type of switch?

Thank you,
-Gary

Old 10-16-05, 05:38 PM
J
Received 472 Likes on 390 Posts
We need a better description of how you hooked it up. Which wire did you put on which screws? When it didn't work, what didn't work? The light stayed on? the light won't come on? the breaker blew?
You can't put two wires under one screw. You must connect them together with a pigtail and connect the single pigtail to the switch.

Old 10-19-05, 12:29 PM
jorusfett
Visiting Guest
The switch in this house is from around 1977.

The old switch screws were not color coded at all. Here is a description of what the old switch looked like:

(Looking at switch from the back)

Right Side:
Top screw: Black Wire
Bottom Screw: 2 White Wires

Left Side:
Top Screw: Black Wire
Bottom Screw: White Wire

The new switch is as described below:

Left Side: 2 silver screws
Right Side: 2 black screws

I wired it up with both black wires on the black screws, and the rest of the white wires on the silver screws. The breaker did not trip but the light didn't work.

I will definately take your input on making the wire a pigtail.

Thanks.

Old 10-19-05, 01:40 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pilot switches come in many different kinds. Some have the pilot light on when the light is on, some when the light is off. Furthermore, some require a neutral and some don't. Why did you replace it anyway? Did your new switch come with directions?

Old 11-17-05, 11:28 AM
jorusfett
Visiting Guest
The existing switch turns the pilot light on when the light is on in the pantry, and off when the light is off.

The reason for changing this switch is for coloration (switching all outlets from almond to white).

The new switch came with directions, but were not very clear. I followed them, and still couldn't get the light to work.

Old 11-17-05, 12:40 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new switch came with directions, but were not very clear.
So tell us what they said (or provide a web link to the directions). Perhaps they will be clearer to us.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: