new pot light sizing

Old 10-16-05, 01:34 PM
onmyown
Visiting Guest
new pot light sizing

Hi, im just about to install about 70 potlights in new home, ive heard from allot of guys these days that everyone is going to 5 inch these days instead of 6, specially in a higher end home, there a little more pricy but I dont think that lighting is a good place to be cheap, anyone know what people are using in the higher end home these days, and if the crome covers are more desirable in the kitchen area, at 20 bucks per cover im assuming they are, because the regular white ones I can get for 5 bucks.
I was also told not to use a center piece light over the master bed but to use nice lamp lighting that comes on with the switch instead, hmmm

Old 10-16-05, 07:44 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
5" has become more popular than 6" cans, but the overall popularity of cans is declining a bit. I'm no longer seeing rooms with rows and rows of cans like I did a few years back. Now there are just a few along the walls, at most. The 4" cans with the MR-16 halogen lamps are finding favor for spotlighting things on the wall.

Builders use plain white trims because they're cheap, designers accept them when the budget is tight because they blend in, more or less. I'm seeing more of the real fancy trims like glo-rings, etc. when designers are involved.

Low voltage pendants are all the rage, especially in fancy styles like Murano glass. They're not real expensive - you might like to use a few yourself. Real high-end installations also coordinate the fixture trims to the rest of the room, and not all rooms are the same.

Center fixtures in bedrooms remain popular - especially ceiling fans. Even if you aren't going to install fans, I'd recommend installing fan-rated boxes just in case. Look for some of the newer fan styles. They've become quite innovative with the designs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: