Replacing fluorescent with pendent lights.

Old 10-16-05, 03:34 PM
jandahiggins
Visiting Guest
Replacing fluorescent with pendent lights.

I have replaced a fluorescent kitchen light with a pendent light, becuase it was just old, sterile, noisy and ugly. Anyway, I had wanted to hang two pendent lights above the island, but there was only one wiring box. However, the previous fixture had four fluorescent bulbs, with two separate wires that were hooked up to the one unit. My question is whether it would be too much of a draw to connect two 100 watt fixtures to where there were four fluorescent (two each) bulbs before, and just extend the wires across to the next stud to hang the second fixture? Or do I need someone to install another circuit?

Thanks.

Old 10-16-05, 04:06 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Four fluorescent lights use 160 watts. Two 100-watt fixtures use 200. It is almost inconceivable that adding 40 watts to this circuit would overload it.

In general, these kinds of questions are answered by determining everything on the circuit (by shutting off the breaker), then adding up the wattage of all of these things, and then comparing it to the capacity of the circuit (1800 watts for a 15-amp circuit or 2400 watts for a 20-amp circuit).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: