Old house, old wiring

Old 10-18-05, 12:00 PM
housenewbie
Visiting Guest
Old house, old wiring

We are replacing the light fixtures in the hallways of our 53 year old house. When we removed the old fixtures, we found wiring that didn't look familar to us (no black, no white). To top it off, when we removed the black connectors to disconnect the old fixtures, we found a copper-looking connector underneath that doesn't seem to have a way of being disconnected. A picture is here .

What are these connectors and how do we get them off? As far as reconnecting the new fixture, we figure it will be trial and error to find what's what.

Old 10-18-05, 12:48 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are crimp connectors.

You told us what color wires you don't have. Now tell us what color wires you do. Detail all the wires and all the connections in the box (they're not all visible in the picture).

Don't use trial and error. Connect the new fixture to exactly the same wires that the old fixture was connected to.

Old 10-18-05, 01:12 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually it is a setscrew connector. Just loosen the setscrew and it will come off.

The far wire appears white, the near red, so connect the red to the black or smooth on the new light, white or ribbed to the white there.

Old 10-18-05, 01:49 PM
housenewbie
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Screwsets they were. Never heard of such a thing, but I'm learning. Black/white to red and white to white was the old connection, so I did as classicsat reccommended and put black to red and white to white. Presto! And there was light and I saw it was good. Having trouble seeing screw holes to secure new fixture, so will wait for hubby's help tonight. Just proud of myself for getting this far. But that's because I believe when in doubt, ask.

Thank you! I'm sure I'll be back. (another fixture has an even bigger wiring mess)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: