Add 1 outlet to wall switch?

Old 10-18-05, 06:14 PM
T
teri
Visiting Guest
Add 1 outlet to wall switch?

I am in a 15 yr.old apt. bldg. The bedrm. lightswitch is connected to one of the wall outlets. I would like to be able to plug a wall lamp into the place where the switch is. Is it possible & safe to replace the switch with a combination switch & single outlet? Where could I find a diagram?

Thanks for any help, teri

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-05, 08:49 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are two common ways that switches are wired, one with a switch loop, and one with power coming directly to the switch. The first thing to do before discussing possibilities is to figure out which you have.

Shut off the breaker, gently pull the switch out of the box, and see if there is a white wire connected to the switch. If the answer is yes, then this is not possible unless you give up the switched outlet (by making it permanently hot). This alternative, however, would violate the electrical code unless there is some other switched light in this room. If there is no white wire connected to the switch, then this is probably possible. Fully describe the wiring in the box.

Further note that it is illegal in most places for you to do any work on a residence that you do not both live in and own.