Rough-in box sizes

Old 10-19-05, 08:25 PM
tadtv1
Visiting Guest
Rough-in box sizes

Hi I'm getting ready to wrap new construction with just the exterior boxes roughed in. (Inspector gave me the go ahead) What size boxes do I use for exterior lamps? (backdoor or carriage) 4" square, 4" oct., 4 1/2"? or round? I noticed many different sizes at Home Depot. Also do I need a box for a door bell? Can I use a regular box for exterior GFCI outlets and just use a waterproof cover? Lastly, what about security cameras video/power? box or just poke through cable. Thanks.

Old 10-19-05, 08:58 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most fixtures can mount to either rectangular or round boxes. But why take a chance? Buy the fixtures and read the installation instructions. Or don't buy the fixtures and read the installation instructions in the store.

Old 10-19-05, 11:29 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What size boxes do I use for exterior lamps? (backdoor or carriage)
Typically 3 inch round - some fixtures aren't wide enough to cover a 4" round box.

Also do I need a box for a door bell?
Not normally - just poke the wire through and surface mount the button after the siding/stucco goes on.

Can I use a regular box for exterior GFCI outlets and just use a waterproof cover?
Yes. Use a deep box - GFI's fit much better in a deep box than in a shallow box. Some municipalities require metal boxes on the exterior. Some municipalities are also requiring the bubble type "in use" cover on all exterior receptacles, even if there no plan to leave things plugged in to them for long periods of time.

Lastly, what about security cameras video/power? box or just poke through cable. Thanks.
Box for power to be sure, cable can be done either way.

Make sure you set the boxes far enough forward that they flush up with whatever siding you will be using.

One more little trick - use DB rated wire nuts for any connections made in exterior boxes. No matter how well you try to seal them, they always get damp. With DB (direct burial) wire nuts, the connection will last forever. DB wire nuts are large, so use deep boxes wherever possible. A dab (a little dab - the stuff makes a mess if you get carried away) of Noalox on the wire before you connect it to a receptacle will also help to make the installation last.

Have you installed the exterior boxes for CATV and Telephone? Check with your local provider for specs - sometimes they will give you the box they want you to use. Have you installed an access for the connection to the UFER ground?

Old 10-20-05, 10:09 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tadtv1
What size boxes do I use for exterior lamps? (backdoor or carriage) 4" square, 4" oct., 4 1/2"? or round?
I am not an electrician. But I have wired most of my house, low and line voltage, and it passed inspection with the 1999 code.

4x4 boxes are nice. The deeper the better. You can put any mud ring you want on top and they leave you a little wiggle room. Round mud rings are tapped for 8x32 fixture screws so they can handle heavier fixtures, and you may find the mounting bar easier to deal with on the round box. I think the NEC allows light fixtures to be hung on a rectangular 4x2 box with 6-32 screws, but to a lower load than the 8-32 screws. A metal mud ring's threads won't strip as easily as plastic, in my experience.

Also do I need a box for a door bell?
No but if you think you'll ever want a door intercom, door phone, electric strike or a door camera, consider putting in some ENT (smurf tube) for future snaking or run some extra wire to those boxes now.

Can I use a regular box for exterior GFCI outlets and just use a waterproof cover?
Plan on the bubble cover mentioned by a previous poster. If you're a stickler for the details, you can get a slick recessed weatherproof receptacle cover from Home Depot et al, special order. http://www.taymac.com/taymac/recessed-exterior.html
These require a deeper mounting depth of the 4x4 box, though.

Lastly, what about security cameras video/power? box or just poke through cable. Thanks.
Well as you know poke thru is quick and easy and leaves nothing to trim. But a box will give you some flexibility in running extra wire now and just curling it up in there. Any time you are trying to plan for the future, it's best to keep your options open. That's why I use the yellow smurf tube for low-voltage and traditional conduit for electrical. Then you just don't have to worry about it now. But you may not have the luxury of my multi-year renovation schedules!

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: