wall light conversion

Old 10-19-05, 09:25 PM
jake1234
Visiting Guest
wall light conversion

I have a large rec room in the basement - no windows.
For whatever reason, the previous owner did not install overhead lighting but he did install numerous wall outlets. I found some wall fixtures with on/off switches but designed for hard wiring. What I wanted to consider was changing these out to plug into the outlets. The wire from the fixture cannot be removed / replaced so I would need to splice behind the fixture. The fixture has a mounting bracket that will hold a ground connection.
Is there a reason why I can not / should not take a standard extension cord, cut off the female plug and splice to the fixture wires and plug into the outlets?
code violations?

Thanks
jeff

Old 10-19-05, 11:14 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Why not buy wall fixtures with cords already on them?

Old 10-20-05, 05:04 AM
jake1234
Visiting Guest
They do not make them anymore or at least they do not carry them at Lowes / Home Depot and discount retailers.
The only thing I have found are brass swing arm lamps or fluorescent fixtures.
I do not want either.
Thanks

Old 10-20-05, 08:32 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Technically, there isn't any real reason, if you cover the electrical connections and provide strain relief on the cord (it would be cheaper to buy #18 wire an plugs BTW, probably, and don't buy dollar store cords).

Legally, the fixtures were designed for fixed wiring only and converting them to cord and plug connection would likely void their UL listing for a hrdwired luminaire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: