How low to hang a ceiling fan

Old 10-20-05, 08:24 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How low to hang a ceiling fan

I have a room with a cathedral ceiling, sloped up to a 16 foot height. I have read that a ceiling fan should be hung about 8 or 9 feet from the floor - regardless of ceiling height. But in a room with a 16 foot ceiling, that would leave about 7 or 8 feet above the fan. That seems like a lot of hot air.

My gut tells me to hang it about 12 feet from teh floor to push as much hot air down as possible (in winter).

Am I way off teh mark here?

I also will have a smalll balcony from a bedroom looking into this room so, for aesthetics I would prefer the fan higher... but certainly the function and ability to have the fan work efficiently as possible is most important.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-20-05, 09:17 AM
J
Most fan manufacturers provide guidelines. I don't remember what they are, but they are often printed on the outside of the fan box. But a constant height above the floor is not what they say.

I don't think you ever need (or want) more than a 3-foot downrod, no matter how high the ceiling. There's some room for personal preference too. You might want it lower if it is important to you to feel the air moving on your skin.

I've never fully subscribed to the idea of using a fan to push warm air down in the winter. But it's common advice, so many people do. You can try it to see if you think it helps. Most people say that you should indirectly push the warm air down in the winter by setting the fan to blow upwards, which will force the warm air down along the walls of the room without creating a breeze.

Old 10-20-05, 12:55 PM
R
I guess I just need to make up my mind...

The fan will hang in between 2 sloped ceiling s . So, how low it haangs will determine whee I will put recessed lights on teh slopes (I dont want the lights to be above the fan which Ive heard will produce a strobe effect) I want them just below where the fan will end.

The problem is, the lights need to go first, then I can rock.. then I can put the fan.

Why not more than a 3 foot down rod.. too shaky?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: