Move Chandelier Location

Old 10-20-05, 09:08 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Move Chandelier Location

I have a chandelier in a 1st floor ceiling with a finished 2nd floor above it and no map of the wiring between the ceiling box and the wall switch in a 1989 house.

Of course, the table is now not centered under the light because of china cabinet, etc additions. It is "off: by about 12-14".

I know I could "swag" the wire to a hook, but would prefer not to.
I also would not like to open the ceiling because of the difficulty in matching the plaster pattern and no assurance that the wire needed would be there.

I was thinking of purchasing a ceiling (probably plastic) medalion and covering the existing box and the cut to a new "old work" box. I know that concealing boxes is not good, but would this be temporary enough to not be a problem?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Drew

Old 10-20-05, 09:25 AM
J
Cosmetically concealing a box is okay--making it inaccessible is not. As long as the medallion is easily removable for access (not quite sure how you'll do this, but you'll figure it out), it's okay. However, I'd probably find a simple blank cover plate, painted to match the ceiling, more attractive and a lot simpler and cheaper.

Your plan is only going to work well if the new location is in a direction parallel to the joists. Furthermore, note that an old-work box won't be sturdy enough to hold the weight of the chandelier.

Know any good plaster guys? If not, I think you ought to go looking for one.

Old 10-21-05, 07:31 AM
F
Thanks

Thanks John.
I figure that if I can get a big enough medalion (say 48"?! - lol) I can cut the ceiling for a solid box installation on a joist or installed crosspiece and cover the damage with the medalion.
Thanks again.
Drew

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: