Replacing Plastic Junction Box

Old 10-20-05, 11:52 PM
mredman
Visiting Guest
Replacing Plastic Junction Box

I want to install a ceiling fan. The junction box is plastic; appears to be attached on one side (though i cannot see any attaching screw - it is just pretty stable on one side). The other side moves up and down, though it appears to have a wing that might settle down on the ceiling wall board (is it clear yet i know nothing?). Instructions here say a plastic box is no good. Since i can't see how it is attached, i don't know how to remove it. Am i going to have to make a big hole in the ceiling to do what the builder should have done, or is there a secret to removing the plastic box without a big hole?

Old 10-21-05, 11:10 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's nailed to the side of a joist on the side of the box that is "stable" and does not move up and down. Use a big screwdriver to gently pry it a fraction of an inch away from the joist, then slip a hacksaw blade (or sawsall) between the box and the joist and cut through the two nails that hold the box to the stud. Be careful not to cut the cable too.

The above advice assumes that there is no accessible attic above. If there is an accessible attic, it's much easier to remove it from above.

Old 10-21-05, 12:41 PM
mredman
Visiting Guest
But i can't see the nail head?

Shouldn't i see the head of the nail on the side of the box (inside)? I can't see anything that looks like it attaches....even though i guess it does.

Old 10-21-05, 01:00 PM
J
No. No part of the nail is visible from inside the box.

Old 10-21-05, 01:03 PM
The nails are at the top and bottom of the junction box on the OUTSIDE, they are not inside of it. There are 2 guides or tabs that hold the nails in position and do not appear to be removable. On the junction box I have in front of me it appears that the nails go into the stud or joist 1". The nails go in on an angle.The nail head is 3/4" back from the front of the box and it enters the wood 1 1/4" back from the front of the box on the opposite side.

I am looking at a universal box that is 2x3 3/4x2 3/4. I gave the measurements for the box I have incase yours is a different size.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-05, 01:39 PM
mredman
Visiting Guest
and does the metal box attach the same?

The replacement metal box will also only be attached on the one side i assume. Will that support a fan without it be attached to something on the other side? and thanks for your great help. This is way out of my league!

Old 10-21-05, 01:48 PM
J
Unless you have attic access, you need to buy a fan brace kit. About $20 at your home center. Or you could purchase a fan-rated pancake box that attaches to the bottom of the joist. Either way, you may end up with the new box being slightly offset from the old one. If that's the case, you should also purchase a medallion to cover the hole.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: