65Watt Recessed Ceiling lights

Old 10-21-05, 05:18 AM
Ritch
Visiting Guest
65Watt Recessed Ceiling lights

I am looking to install 12 x 65watt Pot lights (Recessed)in my basement ceiling.Can I run this on a 15 amp circuit?
Is there a general 'rule of thumb' practice on how many lights I can run a 15amp circuit or how many outlets I could have on a 15amp circuit.
I want to keep my lights and outlets on different circuits

Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-05, 09:57 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If there are no receptacles on this same circuit, 12 recessed cans can easily run on one 15-amp circuit.

The general rule of thumb for a 15-amp circuit is to limit yourself to 8 "outlets" (where an "outlet" is either a light fixture or a receptacle). That rule works better for receptacles than lighting. Since the lighting load is easily computable, you can just use actual watts instead. Most people would advise you to stay within 80% of the circuit's capacity, so that means no more than 1440 watts of lighting on a 15-amp circuit with no receptacles. That would allow you up to 22 of those fixtures. Many also advise that you compute this based on the maximum allowable wattage bulbs for the fixtures rather than just the wattage you plan to initially install. Many recessed cans (e.g., IC-rated cans, or any can with an eyeball trim) are limited to 75 watts anyway.