Ceiling Fan Possible?

Old 10-24-05, 07:25 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Possible?

A buddy of mine has asked for some assistance installing a ceiling fan. Currently he has recessed lights up with one in the middle on a different switch, and wants that replaced with a ceiling fan.

As this is on a separate switch what would I need to do to complete this? I would imagine I'd need a T bar type thing to screw to the beam to hold it up.

If I do that can I then just wire it up?

Thanks very much

Old 10-24-05, 07:35 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need a ceiling fan brace kit, about $20 at home centers in the fan department. Then you'll probably need a small medallion if the fan bell housing is smaller than the round hole left when you remove the can. You'll want to remove the screws inside the can holding it to its mounting bracket. Then you can lower the can through the hole. Then you'll be able to reach up through the hole and remove the can bracket. Then you can install the fan brace kit through the hole.

Old 10-24-05, 08:10 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Do you think there will be a problem in terms of the wiring? Will the fan use the same capacity as the recessed light?

Old 10-24-05, 08:22 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The fan will use about the same as the light. If the fan has a light kit, that will be an additional load equal to the wattage of the lights you install. It's rare that replacing a light with a fan would add enough load to a circuit to make much of a difference, unless it was already right on the edge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: