breaker not tripped, but light won't turn on

Old 10-25-05, 10:26 PM
russtrotter
Visiting Guest
breaker not tripped, but light won't turn on

hey folks, I'm a novice home-repair type, but I can usually fiddle my way through things. Here's my problem:

Around about the same time (perhaps +- 2 days) I replaced a bathroom combo 2-outlet receptable + light switch + fan, all the sudden the laundry room (one room over) overhead light stopped working. I checked:

* the bulb was ok
* no breaker in my breaker box was tripped (i.e. in the OFF position)

At that point, I'm beyond my expertise and I'm not sure if my "repair" of the bathroom switch was purely coincidental or what. Does anyone know of some other things I could check? excuse my novice level, I'll provide as much detail as I can if there's lots of holes in what's above :-)

Old 10-26-05, 07:58 AM
russtrotter
Visiting Guest
fixed!

probably bad form, but I'll reply to my own post with a fix!

I went back into the box for the bathroom lightswitch and realized that I had mistakingly tied the hot wires incorrectly. It's a little confusing because the outlet receptable AND the switch are middle of the run, so there's one hot wire coming out and basically 4 pigtails off of there. The subtlety was that this box is in the middle of *two* runs. One of these being the laundry room light. So now everything is working :-)

Old 10-26-05, 09:22 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We like it when people solve their own problems. And we always like to know the end of the story. Congratulations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: