Ceiling fan light switch two wire versus three wire

Old 10-27-05, 12:58 PM
handofpurpos
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fan light switch two wire versus three wire

I just bought a new Ceiling fan light switch which was a three wire (red, blue, and black wires), but when I removed the ceiling fan light to replace the three wire switch, I found that it had a two-wire switch installed instead. Will this three wire switch still work in place of the two wire switch, and if so, how? Thank you.

Old 10-27-05, 01:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No. Ceiling fan controls are sold in both 2-wire or 3-wire versions. The 2-wire version is typically about twice the cost, and includes an additional box which must be installed up at the ceiling under the fan's bell housing. A Hunter 27186 is an example of a 2-wire control, and costs about $40 at most home centers.

Old 10-28-05, 05:55 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by handofpurpos
I just bought a new Ceiling fan light switch which was a three wire (red, blue, and black wires), but when I removed the ceiling fan light to replace the three wire switch, I found that it had a two-wire switch installed instead. Will this three wire switch still work in place of the two wire switch, and if so, how? Thank you.
I bet you mean capacitor (little black rectangle).

In that case, possibly, if the sum of the two vales on the new capacitor equals that of the old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: