What type of recessed lighting should I use

Old 11-04-05, 02:25 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We are trying to up date our dining room/dinette/livingroom. This area is 28x28 feet divided by an open fireplace. Since the areas can be moved around we would like to install recessed lighting in the present dining room where it would be difficult to place any table or floor lamps. We do not want to install a chandelier since at some point we may change our room areas around again. We would like to have adequate lighting for dining with some accent lighting on one wall.My husband and I are at odds about the type of lighting. I am against the halogen bulbs as I see them as too glaring. What type of bulb and recessed unit will work best and give the most soft but adequate lighting. There is an attic above for access. We would also like to place some lighting in other areas to brighten corners.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-05, 02:46 PM
J
I see nothing wrong with the standard bulb for recessed fixtures, which in my opinion is a 65-watt wide flood BR30 in a 6" can. You might experiment with GE Reveal bulbs for a whiter light. Use plenty of fixtures to avoid shadows and provide even lighting, and then install one or more dimmer switches for when you don't want so much light.

Old 11-05-05, 08:06 AM
N

Thank you John for your quick answer. There is still some confusion as my husband is pushing for the halogen bulbs but any I have seen are quite bright. Most everything I have read mentions both types of bulbs but I want to make sure that the lighting is adequate without looking institutional. Any further thoughts?

Old 11-05-05, 04:14 PM
J
Seems to be a personal taste issue. Your husband likes the look of halogen, and you don't. I'm sure you'll work it out.