problem with hunter ceiling fan light

Old 11-11-05, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
problem with hunter ceiling fan light

I've had a hunter ceiling fan with remote control for about 6 months and it's worked great. This morning, I went to turn on the light via remote control and both bulbs flashed and then went dead. The bulbs themselves are not blown. The fan portion of the unit still works fine. The lights will not come on either via remote control or manually.

So I'm thinking it's the light fixture that has blown. I called Hunter and they said that it's most likely the circuit board on the remote receiver, not the fixture. I made this connection up in the attic, so they said if I remove the receiver and connect the fan directly to the house power, then it should work.

EDIT: I just checked the black wire that goes to the fixture, and with the switch in the on position, the wire is hot. This is telling me that it may not be the fixture, but maybe the receiver??

Has anyone ever had this situation before? Thanks.

Last edited by fuente; 11-11-05 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-05, 03:43 PM
I made this connection up in the attic
That's unusual. And, depending on details, probably a code violation.

I would certainly try what Hunter recommended.

Old 11-11-05, 05:10 PM
well, the receiver would not fit inside the fan, no matter how hard I tried to get it in there. Maybe I'll try again this time.

The connection from the hot to the receiver is made inside a j-box, and the connection from the receiver to the fan is made in the fan itself (not in the attic).

Old 11-13-05, 11:55 AM
well, the hunter fan people really know their stuff. The receiver was the culprit.

Also discovered that the light in on a 20A circuit, with 14 guage wire. Great. I'll either switch out the wire or move it to a 15A circuit, which it should be on anyway, just like the rest of the lights.