Track lighting - transformer burnout

Old 11-12-05, 07:19 PM
kcclelland
Visiting Guest
Smile Track lighting - transformer burnout

Ok,

So I replaced my kitchen lights about 3 months ago. The builder had put two large "shop lights" over the island which really look like crap.

I bought a track lighting kit. One of those bendable wire tracks that you can move the lights however you want.

So after about 1 month, the transformer burns out, and now my replacement has burned out as well.

There are two on/off switches, and the wiring is a heavy gauge for the original big flourescent dealies.

So My question is: what am I doing wrong?

What are my options?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-05, 05:58 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The first thought would that you have over lamped.
Compare the wattage rating of the transformer against the total wattage of the installed bulbs. The transformer should exceed the bulbs by 20%.

Old 11-13-05, 07:32 AM
kcclelland
Visiting Guest
I think the bulbs are ok

The track lighting kit came with the bulbs, so I'm using their recommended bulbs......
I'll double check though

I've got 5 20w 12v halogens.
the transformer is only 105 Watts.

So If I take one of the lights off, it should work better? Why would they give me 5 lights if I can only use 4?

Old 11-13-05, 11:52 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beats me. May be an unintended "spare".
Do they offer a 120W with the same physical dimentions?
Do they offer 15W lamps with that same bulb base?
There may also be an additional contributing cause. When you join the house wiring to the transformer primary, be sure to twist the transformer wiring, if stranded, so that the strands are more consolidated, then twist the house and transformer conductors together, which forms a firm wirenut connection.

Old 11-20-05, 09:19 AM
kcclelland
Visiting Guest
Conclusion

After visiting with everyone at Lowe's and Home dpt. we decided to take the entire unit down and install a different one.

No one had any suggestions as to why the transformer was burning out, but decided their might be a short in one of the lights or the metal track itself.

I did notice the track had some brownish electrical discharge in the area it was connecting to the transformer. Also many of the lights had a similar browning on their contacts.

New lights! I really hope these ones last, if not, I'll be back scratching my head, wondering how many more holes I'll get to punch/repair in the ceiling.