low voltage question

Old 11-13-05, 10:17 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
low voltage question

landscaping light, but I thought I'd hit this forum since it is electrical question.

i recently added some lights onto my upgraded power pack/transformer. i did not exceed the load. they worked great for a week or more. the day i buried them i decided to insure the waterproof wire nuts by wrapping them in electrical tape. still fine. i proceeded to bury the line with the splice. while doing so the lines started to smoke from beneath the earth. i quickly ripped up the line and pulled apart the melting wires.

I took a new run of wire and attached a light directly. nothing. i check the breaker and the outlet. both fine. i checked the transformer with a meter. nothing. the eye sensor still works, but I suspect that runs off 110 not 12v.

Perhaps the wires we nicked somewhere. don't know.

Onto part 2 of my problem. This was a Toro outdoor light power pack. they no longer make them and the company that used to sell replacement parts is no longer around either.

What other quality brand can I use that is compatible? Suggestions?

Old 11-13-05, 11:41 PM
C
All of the brands are compatible, as far as I know. I've been satisfied with Intermatic in the past - quality is aceptable and price is not out of line.

Did your Toro unit come with a fuse on the low voltage side? I've never seen one that didn't, and it's very possible that a blown fuse is the only problem you have. Some have a little circuit breaker - have you tried to reset it?

Old 11-14-05, 12:29 PM
U
I don't see one. The only switch on the back is for 4-6-8hrs or dusk to dawn. the unit is imprinted with a warning.

WARNING:to avoid electrical shock do not open. no user servicable parts inside power pack.

thanks for the info on compatibility. guess it's time to go shopping. OY! 2nd transformer in a year. at least the first lasted 10yrs. this one barely made it 1 year. i guess i toasted it. still don't know what i did wrong. i'd hate to blow more money by smoking another.

Old 11-14-05, 07:10 PM
C
Look for models that have either a fuse or a circuit breaker on the secondary (low voltage) side. If your Toro had one, you would still be using it.

Old 11-15-05, 06:21 AM
U
Thank you for that bit of advice. I'll look for that while shopping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: